Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Lesson 2

 Adding Stitch

Show and Share Lesson 1 Slideshow 

Now that you’ve had a chance to study your released vessel from all angles, you can decide where you want to decorate with stitch.  For this first vessel, we are going to start with an edging.  Please note that all decoration is at your discretion – you can choose to add it or not.  I’m simply going to go through the steps that I take.  The decision is always yours.

Piercing holes for a border edging

The edge of your vessel, (even though you have reinforced it) remains a delicate area, so you will need to manage it with care.  We will be pre-piercing the paper with holes for sewing.  I find that this makes sewing easier for me and saves my fingers.  It isn’t impossible to poke the holes with my sewing needle, but it isn’t always the most comfortable way to do it and it isn’t the easiest way to go through several layers of glued paper.

Using a paper piercing tool, awl, or pin vise, pierce holes about 3/8” to ¼” away from the edge of your vessel.  You need to support the back of the paper with your fingers, so essentially you are holding the edge of the vessel between your thumb and two fingers and trying to pierce between your two fingers. Try hard not to poke yourself (you don’t want blood on all your hard work – just joking).  The paper needs to be held taut and given support when you pierce it, so it doesn’t try to bend or tear.  You don’t want your finger directly behind the area you are going to pierce.  You will soon find what works best for you.  I also have some small pieces of dense foam that I have cut up and can place behind my vessel edges when I am working, that helps at times.

Follow the contours of the edge of your vessel.  If you feel that an area is too thin or the paper tears, you will need to make a decision and place the hole lower or add a patch to reinforce the weak area.  If you want to keep the tear, place a hole on either side and you can sew over the tear and make it a feature.

Review the video from lesson 1 about piercing holes

Stitching the Edging

Once all the edging holes are complete, it’s time to do a Blanket/buttonhole stitch around the edge.  I use the term Buttonhole and Blanket stitch interchangeably even though I believe there is a slight difference between the two.

All knots are on the inside and secured with full strength PVA, then the tails are trimmed.  I use crochet cotton #10, mainly because I then went on to crochet an edging into the buttonhole stitch.  Perle cotton, or embroidery floss would work as well if you were not planning to crochet.

Video -- Stitching your Edging

The video shows how I stitched the edge of my vessel after piercing it.

At this point, you can leave the edge of your vessel as complete, or you can continue to work on it. 

One thing that you can do if you wish is crochet – that is completely optional.  For anyone interested, this is how I began to do the crochet work on my vessel edging.  I used the loops that I created with the buttonhole stitch as the foundation row for my crochet.  I held the tail of the crochet thread along the edge of the vessel and wove it in as I crocheted along the vessel edge so that there would not be any loose threads.  You can see all this in the accompanying video below.

Video – Crochet Edging

I’ve included some How To Crochet videos if you want to brush up your skills.

Video – Beginner’s SingleCrochet   6:19 is where the actual crochet stitching starts

Video– Beginner’s Double Crochet  1:43 is where the actual crochet stitching starts

If you didn’t wish to crochet, you could use the buttonhole stitches as link stitches to allow you to couch fibres to the edge of your vessel.  You could take decorative fibres that might be too thick to stitch through the paper and couch them to the vessel using the legs or loops of the buttonhole stitch as anchor places to attach the fibres.  Additional touches of PVA could also be used to secure the fibres if necessary.

You could also choose to do a form of needle lace using the buttonhole stitch as an anchoring stitch for your work.  The decoration on the edge is up to you and your imagination.

Other Decorative Stitching

The edge isn’t the only place that stitching can be added to the vessel.  Holes can be pierced at any point.   You may decide on a pattern or design motif and arrange that on your vessel.  You can lightly mark it and then pierce where the sewing holes need to be.  Once again, knots should be on the inside unless you wish to make a feature of them.

It is also possible to cut out areas of your vessels and stitch over the openings. This can be quite effective.  When cutting it can be helpful to use an awl to begin a hole for the blade to start.  Always use a sharp blade, a cutting mat and follow safe cutting practices.  The glued paper can be quite hard.

Video – Decorative Stitching

Stitching ideas will vary as widely as your imagination.  One thing to keep in mind when making your vessel, if you plan on stitching, is the size of the opening.  I have a broad hand and a small vessel opening means that I am limited when I try to put my hand inside.

Have fun experimenting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...