Monday, January 4, 2021

Online Teaching -- A First!

 Overview

This series of posts is going to document my first attempt at online teaching. I've taught several classes for the Canadian Embroiderers' Guild, London, ON over the past few years and enjoyed them very much.  The classes have revolved around Fabric Covered Books of different varieties and I've been able to bring together my love of textiles and my love of bookbinding.  It's been a happy marriage to date. 

With the advent of Covid, however, face to face classes are on hold and we have had to find other ways to deliver classes and keep our members engaged.  I've never made videos or done too much with Zoom other than attend the occasional meeting so using it as a teaching platform is going a bit outside my comfort zone.  

I have more than one video of me staring at my laptop screen, talking to myself as I try and talk my way through what I think is happening when I record a Zoom video and use my iPad to record what I am doing on my workspace.  I carefully narrate each step I take in the setup of the equipment and what I see on the various screens but I can't tell what the computer is recording until I finish my session and look at my recording.  There is a lot of " this is what I've done and what I think should be happening" only to play it back to find out that it didn't happen at all.

I did get the setup to work correctly but since I didn't take the time to name my videos with meaningful names, or delete the videos of setups that didn't work, my list of videos have the same name and differ only by time/date stamp and the size of the file.  I have had a big problem trying to locate the one with the correct procedure.  (I only hope I did not accidently delete it with a slip of the mouse)

Meanwhile, I've been working with a webcam and with prerecording videos using my iPad. I've been successful (partially) with using the webcam to display my workspace.  I didn't really use it as a second camera, it became the primary camera and was focused on the work area.  That might work.  I was able to prerecord videos using the iPad and I am experimenting with ways to use them during a Zoom meeting through a shared screen.

As well as looking at recording options and hardware setups, I've been trying to come to terms with editing videos.  This is something new for me. I have been looking at the Video Editor that comes with Windows 10.  I wasn't too thrilled with it until I looked at a video tutorial by Kevin Stratvert.  After watching that tutorial, I learned about features I didn't know the program had and how to use them effectively.  It allowed me to edit a video I had taken and eliminate some mistakes from the video and add an opening title screen. It was simple to use and had a small learning curve. Much easier than some of the other programs I had been experimenting with. 


I still have more experimenting to do to see what will be the best option or options for my class.

Here is my first edited video:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...