Friday, January 20, 2012

Adventures in Bookbinding

I belong to a subgroup of the the Millande Art Community ning group, called "Hinges".  It's a group of people interested in Artist books and bookbinding.  For 2012, this group has started a challenge called "Adventures in Bookbinding".  Every month we are going to explore a new form of Artist book or binding structure.  We all submitted ideas to the moderators of the group and these have been organized and we are now on our way.

Our first book type is called a Squash book.  I made one a while back on a Nature theme and I'm using that as my example.  I used 12 x 12" cardstock with 6.25 x 6.25" cardboard covers.


I used wallpaper border to decorate my cover.  I also embossed a copper tag for the title.

When opened, it looks like this:




I used mulberry paper, photos, wallpaper cutouts, stamped quotes and handwritten quotes to decorate the interior of the book.


I also added a small foldout on the last square of the book.  It is behind the tree frog photo.




Here is a link to a youtube video tutorial for making Squash books: Part 1 , Part 2
Here is a link to pdf directions:  Squash book.pdf




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...