Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Criss Cross Binding

I decided to make a Criss Cross Binding as a gift and since it had been a while since my last efforts, I needed to refresh my memory at to the process.  

I seemed to recall that when I made my last book, I made the cover and then bound the signatures into it one at a time.  Since that time, I've read that it is more stable, and was originally designed, to be added to a sewn text block, so that is what I decided to do for this book.

I researched on the internet and came up with a set of instructions by Emily Martin found here.  There are no pictures showing how to sew the text block to the cover, though the instructions are quite clear. There are pictures showing how the covers need to be stitched together and detailed instructions for doing so.   I did find a picture heavy tutorial by UArts MFA Book Arts blog here.  Between the two of them, I had the clear instructions and the picture I  needed of how to place the Tyvek tapes so I could slip my needle between the tape and my stitching to secure my signatures to the spine of my book.

I used 140lb watercolour paper for my signatures.  I wanted it to be used for pen and ink and watercolour wash drawings.  I had some stamped leather that I'd come across at a thrift shop years ago.  It was almost a full skin.  I don't think they knew what it was because it was ridiculously inexpensive.  I've been saving it for years waiting for the right project and now was the time.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...