Friday, April 22, 2011

I finally got around to taking pictures of the finished book repairs.  I've been quite busy working on other projects and just never seemed to get around to it.

The book I was most concerned about had damaged corners, loose cover boards and a damaged spine.  Here are pictures of the book after the repairs were made.  The cloth I used is a darker green but it was the closest available at the time.  The original spine was trimmed and added to the cloth after the repair was completed.



You can see in the picture below that the old cloth was slit to allow the new repair to turn under the endpaper and cloth on the cover boards. It was then glued back into place.  The cloth on the cover boards was cut back from the hinges because that is going to be a place of wear.


The green kozo paper used in the repair of the corners (below) blends in much better.  The kozo can be custom dyed to make repairs practically invisible.  To save time, we used the closest match we could find in the instructor's colour stash.
I'm not an expert by any means but this workshop left me with the knowledge to tackle a few simple repairs and able to do some preventative maintenance to keep my books in good shape. 

The reference we used was "The Repair of Cloth Bindings" by Arthur Johnson which I purchased from John Neal Bookseller  (search cloth bindings).

0 guest annotations:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright 2010 In My Workroom.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.