Saturday, August 28, 2010

Deadlines or Goals

I've discovered that I need to establish goals or heaven forbid ... even deadlines .. in order to complete any art.  if I don't do that, I'm full of good intentions, I surf the internet and look up all kinds of references, get inspired in a million different ways, end up ordering books, downloading .pdf files that are just sooooo interesting that I can't wait to try them, get caught up in blogs of incredible work by others who've obviously found the time to actually do something,  gather supplies that I know I'm just going to need from the hardware store or art supply and at the end of the day, the week, when ever ... I don't have much to show for it in the way of finish creations.

Now, all the above mentioned things come together for me when I take a class.  The inspiration, the tools, supplies, instruction and deadlines all appear in the same place at the same time and a finished product is guaranteed.  The only problem is that not many classes in things that catch my fancy are available in my local area.  Accommodation costs can make out of town classes a bit expensive as a frequent alternative.  I am trying to find out if there are any like minded individuals near by as the "buddy system" might work for me as well.  I'm just not a great joiner -- it's so hard to take the first step.

I was lucky enought to find a bookbinding class being offered in a town only 60 kilometers away from me.  It's offered by a master bookbinder/restorer who is a member of CBBAG.  I have been able to take Bookbinding Part I and II, the Leather Workshop and I'm signed up for Bookbinding Part III in November.  Now that is one interest that has me captivated though I don't seem to do too much when I'm on my own.  Shhhh, don't tell Dan that!

I'll post some pictures of my efforts from those classes and a box making workshop that I took with Don Taylor (also from CBBAG).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...