Friday, January 12, 2024

Paper Based Vessels

 Welcome

This class is going to be about making vessels of different shapes and sizes using a variety of paper based techniques and materials.  While teaching Paper, Paint, Stitch and More… I discovered paper artists who also explored the use of paper in 3 dimensional ways and that led me to those who made paper vessels.

  I was smitten.  They were so beautiful, so delicate yet strong, so organic.  The only problem was that I couldn’t find a lot of instructions ---  just a few images here and there of some very intriguing vessels with a caption underneath mentioning the materials used to create them.

That led to a lengthy period of dropping down rabbit holes and following images back to artist blogs, searching online and experimentation.  If you are hoping for all the answers, I’m sorry, I don’t have them.  What I do have to share are my experiences working with several types of paper (the number is constantly growing as I sort through what I have on hand) to make paper mâché vessels, as well as some time spent dabbling with paper clay and paper pulp to see how that adapts to making vessels.

I found that for me, making the vessel was just the first step.  As happy as I might be with the shape, if it sits still long enough, I want to put some stitches into it.  Luckily, paper and I have a happy history when it comes to stitching.  I find it a very rewarding medium to work with and while the 3-dimensional shape might provide a challenge occasionally, it’s one I enjoy.

The list of things that I still want to try is longer than the list of things that I have tried, and I am hoping that I will get to experiment with some of those ideas during this class.  It all starts with, “I wonder what would happen if …?”  Once you’ve made a vessel or two, you’ll know just what I mean.

wet strength tissue, scrim, stitching, crochet



Canson tracing paper, sisal fibre





wet strength tissue, scrim




wet strength tissue, cut outs, stitching



Paperclay vessel, crochet



Paperclay vessel, crochet


Paperclay vessel ready to stitch, (paperclay was fresh from package)

wet strength tissue, red stitching, crochet

paper string



wrapped paper string



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...