Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Paper, Paint, Stitch and More ... Lesson 2

 Paint

Lesson 2 Presentation video

One of the first things to explore is stitching into a painted background. At this point, we are still dealing with a single sheet of paper. Speaking of paper, when you begin to paint or colour your paper, you want to have a relatively sturdy paper to work with.  I typically use at least a 140lb or 300 gsm watercolour paper.  I have worked with 90lb  or 190 gsm but you need to take some precautions when using wet media to keep your paper from buckling when drying (tape it to a flat surface)  I’ve included a link to a guide to looking at paper weights – it can be very confusing to determine the weight and thickness of paper when you use the lb measurement.  The gsm is a much more reliable measurement for paper weight and sturdiness. 

What Is GSM Paper? Everything You Need to Know.

My first foray began with circles.  I have a fascination with circles – always have.  They have appeared in my stitching in the past and will probably continue to appear in the future.  They have appeared in my journals and in my collage work.  No surprise then when it seemed natural to use them as a beginning point in a painted background. 

I began by using watercolour to paint circles in two colours on 5.5” x 7.5” pieces of watercolour paper that I had torn down from a larger sheet.  They were leftover pieces from strips I hadn’t used in a book project. I painted 2, 3, and 4 circles randomly on the page and then decided how I was going to stitch on them.  There was no preplanning, just circles placed randomly using colours that I liked.  I used a spool of button thread to trace my circle and #12 perle cotton to stitch with. I decided my circles would  be a solid colour and that I would connect circles of the same colour.  I would keep everything in straight lines (because it was easy, because lines and circles appealed to me, and because it came to me that I could weave where threads crossed).

Eventually, I attempted a less structured form of watercolour and stitch, but I found I liked Alicia Godwin’s stitching style more than mine.  I was keeping to hard edges, and she followed the soft edges of her watercolours which gave her work a more organic look that I think looks better.

Water colour led to acrylic paint – I really enjoy this medium.  I don’t paint anything specific, just splash colour on the page and when dry, stitch into it in any way I wish.  (Which led to holes but that’s another topic)  

Acrylic paints and inks can also be used for mono printing.  If you have used a Gelli plate you know what I mean.  Gelli plate printing is a lot of fun but can be an entire course on its own.  I’ve included a link to some videos on Gelli plate printing for those who would like to see what it’s like for future experimentation. 

The Basics: What You Need To Know When You Start Gel Printing by Birgit Koopsen - YouTube

Making Multi Layered Gel Prints in One Pull - YouTube

 

Another way to get somewhat similar effects is to use acrylic paint and stencils.  The stencils can be purchased or made.  Creating your own designs gives you complete creative control.  –  Cover a piece of paper (both sides) in packing tape.  This will make it moisture resistance so you can reuse it. Cut out a shape from the paper.  If you can, keep the shape you’ve cut. This will be a mask.  The paper with the hole is the stencil.  You can apply acrylic paint over the stencil (lightly daub paint using a stubby brush or a sponge) making sure the paint is not too runny or it will go under the edges of the stencil.  If you daub paint over the mask (the shape you cut out) you will get the silhouette of the shape.  This can be an interesting effect for foliage shapes.  You can get positive and negative spaces.

If you need to get more mileage out of your acrylic paints, these videos on acrylic mediums and gels are excellent.

2015 Topic 15: Acrylic Mediums {on the paperArtsy Blog} - YouTube

2015 Topic 15: Acrylic Gels {on the PaperArtsy Blog} - YouTube

 

If you like working with inks, either alcohol or acrylic, they can be a great way to colour a surface in preparation for stitching.  With alcohol inks, you want to have a surface that isn’t immediately absorbent so that you have time to move the colour around.  Yupo paper is a perfect example.  It is a polypropylene based sheet, 100% recyclable that comes in white or translucent. Any art store will carry it.  It will accept ink and should be sealed with Krylon Kamar Varnish (several light coats) before stitching if you are planning anything more than a practice piece.  I’ve watched artists do incredible things but I have to admit, my experiments are just that – experiments.  I haven’t really created anything I’ve really loved even though I’ve had a lot of fun doing it.

Alcohol Ink Tutorial For Beginners - YouTube   it’s long but thorough

 

Ink can come in a different form as well.  If you’ve used Derwent Inktense pencils or blocks on fabric than you have an idea of how to use them on paper.  You don’t need fabric medium or aloe vera gel, you just need water and the ink will be set once it’s dry.

Inky Papers for my Stash - Inktense Blocks and Pencils with Stencils & Mark Making - YouTube

Top 10 Tips for using Derwent Inktense Blocks & Pencils 😱 - YouTube


Don’t forget tea and coffee staining paper to add colour.  If you like working with neutrals or an antique look.  This technique is a standby.

Tutorial: Tea Dyeing and Baking Paper with Mrs. Cog - YouTube

How To Coffee Stain YourPaper Using Plastic Doilies - YouTube

How to create your own pattern paper COFFEE EDITION - YouTube

 

Those are just some of the ways to add colour to a sheet of paper and there are definitely more.  The idea you need to take from this is – you aren’t limited to the original colour of the paper.

What appeals to you as a method of adding colour to your base paper? Do you prefer a random or planned approach? Watercolour, acrylic or ink?  Pick one method (or more, the choice is yours) to add colour to your base paper, and stitch into it.  Keep it simple this week, just one layer of paper, as our inspiration artists have done– we’ll be looking at layers/collage  in a future lesson.



Artist Links

Evelin Kasikov – Artist & Designer

Karin Lundström on Instagram

Watercolor and Embroidery in Hydrangea — Painted Lady Studio (paintedladystudioag.com)

Alicia Godwin (@painted_lady_studio) • Instagram photos and videos   

AyakaMP on Instagram:    

Bianca Severijns Contemporary Paper Artist

Britt Fabello

Ingrid van den Brand (@ingridvandenbrand) • Instagram photos and videos

Jenna Decker

Karen Margolis (karenmargolisart.com)

Rhian Swierat

Sabatina Leccia | Visual artist

Sally Brandl Watercolors (@sallybrandlwatercolors) • Instagram photos and videos

Manoela Grigorova (@mojoandmuse) • Instagram photos and videos

 Annwyn Dean

 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...