Thursday, February 11, 2021

Fabric Journal: Lesson 3

Preparing Fabric Motifs

Decide on the fabric motifs you are using. I used watercolour like drawings of several different flowers from a shower curtain.  It was lightweight, wrinkled and shiny synthetic fabric . This time I have a heavier, double ply, reversible fabric with only a single motif. The first time I used only one fabric, this time I'm using two different fabrics. 

You can use what you want, how you want, to create the effect you'd like to create.  You can even draw your own motifs directly on your fabric page or on a secondary fabric and apply it to your page -- or both. 

I used Wonder Under fusible web but there are other products on the market. (Misty Fuse, Heat and Bond Lite etc.) You may use whatever product you are comfortable using. 

There are directions for use of Wonder Under on your handout and a video on the Reference links page. 

Here is my video showing how I prepared and used my Fabric Motifs in my new journal:

Preparing Fabric Motifs

Applying Fabric Motifs


Extras

I'm currently working on an eight panel accordion book made from unbleached cotton. I've been experimenting with motifs taken from ordinary tissue paper.  When backed with Wonder Under and fused to the fabric, they become strong enough to stitch through and don't tear when being applied.

Tissue Motifs

Butterfly Motifs - the next steps

Several questions were raised during today's Lesson. The following video addresses those questions.

Lesson 3 Questions




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...